Since this is a blog about the journey of my novel’s completion, you probably want to know a little bit about my novel.

My novel is called Seeking the Lost Soul. It is about a girl, Rena Eve, who moves to Boston and attends a private high school, the Miller Academy. Rena meets a descendent from the founder of the school, James Miller. Through James, Rena is reunited with her estranged father after seven years. Rena and her father grow closer. Meanwhile, he holds a secret that everyone knows about, except Rena.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dealing With Criticism

Hearing criticism is probably the hardest part of being a writer. You write something; it is your baby. You created it, nurtured it, and it grew into a full-fledged story. And to hear someone say something negative about it makes you go on the defensive.


In my Creative Writing class, we have workshop days where we talk about the work we just submitted. When it is my turn, I always get nervous. I am always afraid everyone will hate it. I tell myself I have a thick skin and the things said are to help me. They do, but somehow the little insecurity inside me says, “I told you!” Because it knew all along, the story wasn’t my best work.


But how do you conquer that irritating little insecurity? I think the best thing to do is just to keep hearing criticism. It is the only way to build up a thick skin. You hear it over and over again, and you become numb to the negative part; you just don’t hear it anymore. Just the part that helps you out.


-Landman

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same thing when I workshop my poems for school, or share anything creative I have made to someone else. Even my blog! Criticism is important, but any reaction is feedback. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I've always loved the cocky artist. Sometimes when you are yourself confident about what's you've made, it is an incentive for others to be at least interested in your work. The artist is the one in charge, and once in charge you are conscious that the work you are making is your best.

    I have an old friend with a blog in which she post her art projects. She made this really great list of things keep in mind when making art...
    http://77.goldfishtiger.com/2010/08/15/day-seventy-when-making-art/

    ReplyDelete