Since this is a blog about the journey of my novel’s completion, you probably want to know a little bit about my novel.

My novel is called Seeking the Lost Soul. It is about a girl, Rena Eve, who moves to Boston and attends a private high school, the Miller Academy. Rena meets a descendent from the founder of the school, James Miller. Through James, Rena is reunited with her estranged father after seven years. Rena and her father grow closer. Meanwhile, he holds a secret that everyone knows about, except Rena.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Planning It All Out

I’ve always found it interesting when someone shares how they come up with an idea and what they did to start writing a story. I’ve heard people have made detailed outlines and story arcs or story pyramids (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and dénouement).


When I started writing my novel, I knew exactly where I wanted Rena to go. Of course, it was all in my mind. I decided I needed a written outline, so I could refer back to it. I wrote one, and it certainly helped. I found it was a lot easier to write scenes because, technically, I had already written them; they just needed details and descriptions.


Finding the best way for you to plan out a story, I believe will make it easier in the long run. Once you figure out how you work as a writer, your writing will ultimately be improved.


What do you do when planning out a story?


-Landman

1 comment:

  1. I'm still on the fence as far as to outline or not to outline. When I started my novel I had a general idea where I wanted things to go, but the mechanics hadn't been worked out. I did stop to attempt an outline when I discovered that I disliked my first 150 pages. The outline was harder to write than the book!
    That was a while back. I had to take a long hard look at my work. My entire cast of characters changed, the novel went from 3rd limited to 1st. Same basic plot...
    I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy spontaneity too much to outline very much.

    ReplyDelete